Minggu, 15 Januari 2012

Great camera, buy batteries.

Canon PowerShot Digital Stabilized Wide Angle

Canon PowerShot Digital Stabilized Wide Angle

I have owned cameras in the PowerShot line as well as DSLRs. I purchased this camera to replace an aging PowerShot for everyday use for my family.

Relative to other point-and-shoot cameras I have owned it is amazing. It is on par with my old DSLR from seven years ago. If you just want to point and shoot it does a great job of that.

The camera is in the SX family meaning extended zoom, which it does very well. It has a maximum zoom of 500mm equivalent @ f/6.8. That is a pretty reasonable f-stop at deep zoom, especially when comparing the costs. For comparison, the off-brand Sigma DSLR lens for Canon cameras that reaches 500mm @ f/6.3 costs just over $1000, or much more for on-brand lenses. The picture quality isn't as good as a much more expensive DSLR+Lens set up for deep telephoto, but the results are still more than adequate for using on the web professionally.

The camera is full featured. The GPS and auto-tagging is nice for camping and backpacking, or whatever form of travel you are in to. My teens love some of the features like auto-detecting when everyone is smiling and automatically taking a picture, the wink-to-self-timer, and the miniatures mode. Sunsets and flowers look incredible when 'extra vivid' is turned on.

Now the down side.

Canon chose a tiny battery to fit in the tiny case. From an aesthetic viewpoint this makes sense. They want it small, lightweight, travel size. They want it to fit in a pocket.

However, considering the primary use as a travel and camping camera this makes much less sense. Yes, the camera must be conveniently small, but not by sacrificing usability. Recording video goes from a fully charged fresh battery to the camera powering off in about 30 minutes. Leaving the camera on while you walk a trail and take photos gives you slightly more than one hour of battery life.

If you are going camping or backpacking or traveling without a battery charger, plan on going through at least one battery pack per day, possibly more. The battery packs are not very expensive (relatively) which is a good thing because you'll need them.

Get your Canon PowerShot Digital Stabilized Wide Angle Now!

5 komentar:

  1. So Im looking for a digital camera. I saw that canon powershot that has this awesome application where you can make a pic black and white all except one colored item that pops out, but I'm not sure if that is good or not. But I feel like in the past I go to the store to check them out then a salesperson talks me into a camera.... then I usually hate it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

    BalasHapus
  2. I love the digital camera I have now, its an Olympus that's super tiny and takes great pictures during the day, however it takes horrible pictures at night even though its has special settings! It still works fine for a 4 year old camera BUT I will be studying abroad next semester and I would like to take pictures at night as well as the day!! I'm looking for a small camera with high quality pictures. I'm also on a budget so I want the most value for my money! Any suggestions??

    BalasHapus
  3. I'm looking for a good digital camera with a decent battery life to use for a concert. It will need to shoot nice pictures/videos in low light, and have a good sound quality. The seats at the concert are on the floor, if that helps. I have been searching for quite awhile, but I've been unsuccessful in finding one that fits these standards. Please help! Thanks.

    BalasHapus
  4. I am looking at a Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD or a Olympus Stylus Tough-8000 12 MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Wide Angle Optical Dual Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Black). Which one should I get? Thank you!

    BalasHapus
  5. I've gone through a canon powershot 720 and a coolpix one that took pretty good outdoor but horrible indoor quality. The canon was good, but it took a lot of effort to get a decent picture. I just want something where I can zoom in and take good clear pictures. Anything for under $400 that I could get. Any ideas? Thanks!

    BalasHapus